Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Nothing like consistency when working in stone - Tombstone Tuesday

Graceland Cemetery, Chicago, Illinois
I have written about William M. Butler before here and here, and I return to him and his second wife, Eliza, for today's post. I have found William's death date on several documents, two obituaries for him and one from his wife Eliza. His death date is listed as December 1, 1895 and December 2, 1895. You'll notice that his tombstone gives yet another date. And just to make things a little more interesting, both Eliza's birth and death dates are different than those listed on her death certificate. Nice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a William Butler
1837 – 1905 and Eliza Poore
1847 – 1888 in my tree as well. Maybe you are finding information on my William and Eliza when searching?

Heather Kuhn Roelker said...

Lisa, I'm super late in responding, but I did come across a marriage record for a William and Eliza which I've never been able to prove belongs to MY William and Eliza. If you are still looking, shoot me a note through the blog and I can send you a copy.