Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

On TV: Searching For with Pam Slaton

I am a constant remote "flipper." I don't watch much television, but when I do you can bet that the channel changes a lot, unless, of course, I am watching my beloved DVR. Anyway, I was flipping channels a few days ago and came across a show on Oprah's new network: OWN. The show is called "Searching For" and features investigative genealogist Pam Slaton. The focus of the show is not the dead, as we usually like to focus on, but rather the search for living relatives that the clients have either lost contact with or never met. Clients bring Pam stories of lost loved ones and she works to find and reunite them. The particular episode I caught featured a mother that was forced to give up her child for adoption at birth and a man that had lost contact with his father.
This show is clearly produced to increase Kleenex sales. While Pam Slaton is billed as a professional genealogist, the show has little to do with genealogy and investigations and more to do with the clients' feelings and fears. In fact, there is no discussion of how Pam finds individuals or what tools she uses. She provides a research tip or two during the show, but the ultimate point is to convey feelings and make the viewer cry, which I did.

The show airs Mondays on the OWN at 8 p.m. (CST). For more information check out the Searching For website.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Pam Slaton.My Name is Kayla Ivey and i am looking for my husband daughter.My husband is evry sick now and had hart problem and i am looking for his little girl.if any way you can tell me how go about and do the search i love to search for her but i dont know what to do first can you help me heres my email sheba01@hotmail.ca.Thank you Kayla Ivey