Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Baldwin City, Kansas home update

Quite a while ago I wrote a post about this house in Baldwin City, Kansas.
Yesterday I received a comment on that post from a teenager that currently lives in the area and thought the house looked familiar. She wondered if I had any idea where the house was because she was sure she could find it. Problem? I had no idea. So, thanks to Bee I dug a little deeper.

I knew that my 2nd great grandmother, Cora Ozias Kuhn Martin Wolverton (whew!), lived in Baldwin City from around 1900 to 1920. But I wasn't sure when. However, since I last conducted research some additional plat maps have been added online at the Kansas Memory website. I was able to track down Cora's location in 1921.
You can see Cora's property circled in red. It is just south east of town, but there are no roads listed. It also appears that she is due east of the rail head. I hunted around with Google Earth for a while, but couldn't find a house that looks like the photo.
 
A second atlas from 1902 shows a better view and includes street names.
You can see that it appears that Cora lives on the southeast corner of Orange and 1st Steet. I checked out that location and there is no house similar to the one in the photo. I guess it was lost to time.


1 comment:

Debi Austen said...

Bummer. But I love that the teenager was eager to help you. I contacted the current owners of the home my GG Grandfather built in 1870ish and they never returned my "call".