Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tuesday's Tune - MacArthur Park

Ah, MacArthur Park. A random song whose meaning is elusive. I remember hearing this song growing up and I loved it. I mean, who wouldn't love a song about cake, right? Remember the words?

"MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark,
All the sweet green icing flowing down. 
Someone left the cake out in the rain.
I don't think that I can take it,
'cause it took so long to bake it.
And I'll never have that recipe again...OH NO!"

MacArthur Park was written by Jimmy Webb and first recorded by Richard Harris in 1969. There were many covers of the song, to include Donna Summers and the Temptations. To me, the Richard Harris version will always be the best. Only he can sound so emotionally disturbed by the mistreatment of a cake.

As it turns out, that cake is meant to represent a relationship. Enjoy!

No comments: